Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Leavin' on a midnight train to Georgia





My friend Emily likes "airport world" where everyone is in transition, no one is really a local, and all cultures are mixed up in one big pot of high perfume prices and strong gas smells. On a recent trip from Seoul, I realized my reflective refuge is the train station.

While boarding or departing and walking along the platform I always catch a glimpse of myself in the long dark windows of the train. My reflection triggers a realization of who I am, who I am wanting to be, and how I'm always moving, always changing. I look, see myself, see myself moving along each window, either getting closer to my car or closer to the exit. Maybe I'm on my way to an adventure or to see friends. Sometimes it's not clear where I'm going, but I'm always moving. Wherever I'm going, I always grin at my reflection.

I don't mind traveling alone. It gives me just the right amount of time to prepare for what is to come, or reflect on what just happened. Most of my time alone is silent, with the exception of the Korean man who sits next to me and speaks all of the English he can remember. Without that involuntary quiet time, which could easily seem lonely, I wouldn't fully appreciate my journey or my destination.

Train stations give me quick results; I don't have to wait around for hours to get where I want. This is maybe a reflection on my personality, but I'm ok with that. I can wait for the next train if this one is full. I can be patient. I can even take the bus if I need to. I won't buy any dried squid on the food cart racing down the aisle. I can wait. But I prefer to be moving, on my way to somewhere.

Pretty soon I'll be home in the states, but only for a few months. I wonder why I was made with such a strong desire to be in constant transition. Maybe He knew that only when I am moving places, changing scenery, am I forced to be quiet. In that stillness, He is there, moving me, changing me and I am grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Your description of the train stations perfectly encapsulates much of the same feelings I have when using any type of mass transit. I can recall a train station in Paris (Gard du Nord) walking into it with an absolute sense of awe not only in what I was seeing around myself but at the shear numbers of people coming through this "hub". People who I'll see once and never see again, and many thousands of people I'll never even see, but I'll know they're there.

    Though I wouldn't consider myself religious by any practical means, I do agree that there is some sense of "this being bigger than me" when you're in an area like that.

    I took this picture to remind myself of that train station always, and it works like a charm every time!

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30110445&l=a0845&id=59201661

    I hope you're enjoying you're time abroad, and I'm totally jealous!

    -Scott

    ReplyDelete