Saturday, November 15, 2008

Korean Physical Therapy

(The beautiful birthday bike ride that I couldn't go on because of my stupid ankle!)

Three minutes into an intense staff basketball game, my ankle rolled during my famous drop step left hand hook. It crunched, I flopped, and the ball doinked off the rim. Ah crap. This was the beginning of an adventure into Korean physical therapy.

At the orthepedic clinic, my ankle immediately received an exam, xray and ultrasound all for around $40. The doctor told me to avoid exercise for 3 weeks, gave me a wrap, and sent me home.

I've always been curious about acupuncture and seized the opportunity; Emily and I headed across town to see a "rare man" (as he describes himself) to poke me with needles. I thought acupuncture was an ancient, exotic, and calming way to treat injuries. I didn't realize it involved ancient, exotic torture. So far, I have been given 7 injections, many needle pokes, ultrasonic massage, and 2 different types of electric shock therapy.

As much as I squirm during the therapy, its working. The bruises and swelling are nearly gone and my walk is almost normal. I have not had to wait more than 10 minutes to get treated and 3 sessions cost under $100. I'll take Korean torture, I mean therapy, any day!

Instead of biking, I got to take pictures. It turned out to be a pretty good day anyway!


Beautiful Korean fall!


1 comment:

  1. Hello Meredith,

    Your blogs are just what I needed to find! You are a godsend for me right now!

    I am currently living in the USA, and I am looking into moving to Korea within 9 months for at least one year; to teach. God willing, of course. I just read your blog on physical therapy and I was wondering if you could PLEASE find it in your heart to help me.

    I have been searching diligently for a paid physical therapy internship for my boyfriend in Korea, preferably within or near the Seoul area, but if not wherever I can find one! I have even found the Mayor's e-mail address and I am writing to him for help, haha!

    I know I am a total stranger here, but I assure you my intentions are completely benign. If you would be so kind as to give me the contact information to your physical therapist (like their e-mail addresses), or possibly anyone else that you might know that would be able to successfully assist me in this matter, I would greatly appreciate it. I will give you my personal e-mail address, so that you could write back to me there. Of course, only if you feel comfortable enough to do so.

    Here it is: Paloli003@aol.com When you write back please include "Meredith" on the subject line.

    Thank you so much for your time and consideration on my unexpected request. I truly hope to hear from you soon. Take care of yourself and I hope you have a wonderful rest of the week.

    Kind Regards,

    Paola

    ReplyDelete