Saturday, September 29, 2007

Alias in Korea?!






My spirits were just lifted when I stumbled across an episode of my favorite tv series of all time; Alias. The main character is Sydney Bristow, a double agent for the CIA. Sydney's heart is so pure and she cares so deeply for the people around her. She is constantly fighting evil but often gets deceived by those that she trusts. Yet she never stops trusting and believing in people. There is a little Sidney Bristow in me. I'm glad she made it to Korea too.

This week was Chusok, Korea's Thanksgiving. A huge group of mostly new TCIS staff decided to head off to Korea's Hawaii - Jeju Island. The weather was perfect and the people were amazingly generous and kind (except for the bus driver who didn't like my tube top and suggested in Korean that I wear Korean clothes. I suggested he make some that fit me, along with some other things. He's lucky he didn't understand English.)

During our stay, we spent one night in Udo, a very small island off of the main island. After a long walk around the island in the dark, a truck picked us up and took us to a seafood restaurant. A few in the group didn't want seafood, so the waitress ordered chicken from a different restaurant!! When we were finished with an amazing meal, the Catholic owner gave us a ride back across the island to our pension. The next day, we woke up early to watch the sunrise. It was very refreshing.

The rest of the day was filled with a jog around the island, snorkeling along the rocky wave ridden shore (thanks DJ for saving my life a few times) riding scooters (thanks DJ for nearly taking my life by running our scooter into a COP car) and snorkeling again along a much calmer, yet forbidden shore (who knew you're not supposed to swim near a boat landing? Not me....I can't read signs written in Korean...) I also made a new friend, SungJik who works on the island. He is also Christian so we had lots to talk about. It was a wonderful day.

The most unexpected part of my trip was the relationships that were strengthened and developed. I was nervous about traveling with so many people - group travel usually induces a gag reflex for me - but I have learned that God shows up in places where He is least expected, like Dunkin Donuts. I don't even like Dunkin' Donuts and a bagel with cream cheese really shouldn't take 15 minutes to make. But God used that time and took previous feelings and impressions I had about someone and gave me a chance to change them. I am very very grateful for that chance.

I am also grateful for the chance to read peculiar quotes on a coffee shop wall and rock out at the norabong with my new friends.

It seems that Rosa was pretty mad when I got home because I was greeted with a hiss. She forgives pretty easily though and is currently watching Alias - it is definitely her favorite show too. More people should be like Rosa (both in the forgiving and Alias aspects).

To see more of the Jeju fun, http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5134&l=1d340&id=514913255

Off to bed - only one more day of being thankful for Korean Thanksgiving. :)

Love to my meguks! (Americans)



2 comments:

  1. you shoulda broke out into our old classic (to the tune of mmmBop) Tubetop doodenbopbop tubetop diddya bop tubetop diddenbopbop doo, yeeeah yeeeeah TUBETOP! What a great song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Meredith,

    "Oh jeez." This is all I have to say about your manners.

    Love,
    Ad

    ReplyDelete