Tuesday, September 4, 2007

"Lettuce" thank Him for our Food...














I was just about to take a drink of water from a mug I left out last night, but realized Rosa probably dipped her paw in it sometime during the day. She does this. She also thinks people food is scary and won't touch it. She wants to touch it, gets really close, and then backs away like it might attack her.

It feels like college all over again, except with more sleep, less stress, and less English. I get home late from "studying", make some Korean version of fancy ramen noodles, discover that it will have to go without tofu, as it is 2 weeks expired. I don't have any of my own furniture, my dishes are probably from "EMart" and if my windows are open, I can hear the dude talking on the phone in an apartment across the alley. You might see my apartment in MTV 'Cribs' or perhaps on 'Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.' It's very glamorous.

This weekend I actually became Korean. I marched down to 'Kamikaze' corner (busy traffic, only blinking yellow lights) and found a Korean crush at the eyeglass store. I don't remember his name but he was so cute because he tried very hard to speak in English and say all of the scientific words during my eye exam, especially after he found out I was a science teacher. Eye exam by cute Korean man + contact lens + saline solution = 20,ooo Won. When I went back to pick up my glasses, he told my friend in Korean that my hair made me look much prettier this time. Thank you, cute man who speaks little English.

I took Mr. Glasses' comment to heart and got a hair cut. When going to a salon here, remember to bring a friend so you can give each other nervous looks while they're chopping off all of your hair. I got a Korean hair cut, which is actually very similar to what Americans like to call a mullet. Koreans can pull this off quite well but I'm not sure about this curly haired white girl. At least it was only 8,000 Won! I just watched a YouTube video of a Hillsong United song and the lead guitarist has a mullet. I feel a little better. :)

The last few days have been bittersweet. Friends at home are beginning to feel very far away, time with friends here is more limited, but at the same time, friendships are becoming more genuine. One friend and I had a great talk this weekend about how we think God wants to change us here. How refreshing it is to be able to open up to someone fairly new and not worry about whether they'll like you when you finish your sentence. I've very grateful God plopped some of these people in my lap.

I'm still thankful every day for my huge classroom (see picture above) for still having hair and being able to see well (see other picture above) and for being alive (every day I am nearly killed by a car or scooter). God is pretty good.

5 comments:

  1. I love your mullet haircut. You are beautiful!!

    I am very happy that you have had wonderful people "plopped" into your life. They are lucky to have you plopped into theirs!

    AND... your classroom is HUGE! That is so awesome. How did the Bill Nye go? :) Love to you--

    ReplyDelete
  2. uhhh... have you ever been to the Bungalow? cause that is not a mullet. :) not even close!

    I miss you but not your plops but the laughs afterward but not the smell! Buster says wheeeeze! Give Rosa a kiss! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you overlooked those fresh veggies in your refrigerator when you were cooking ramin noodle surprise.
    Do Koreans know what acorns are? I will send you one and a golden fall leaf in memory of our special fall weekend "trips"!
    Polka Dot Crane is gearing up to ride!!
    PS Your classroom is a dream!
    Love from home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're adjusting Meredith! Your Mom came to our little RL wedding open house yesterday. She might be sending you a picture she took. She's so sweet. :)

    praying for you today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meredith,

    Didn't you always have a mullet?

    Did you steal those glasses off a homeless guy? Give them back.

    I think you need to eat your cat. You sound protein deficient.

    I bet you aren't using your organic deoderant. You probably should start.

    Much Love,
    Ad

    ReplyDelete