Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Too much meat, not enough flowers







I'm beginning to miss the nasty coffee smell my hair used to have after working at Luna Vinca. Tonight it smells like meat. After eating (salad for me, thanks) at a Korean barbecue for Kirstin's birthday, I now reek like a Texan with the meat sweats. Gross! All was not lost, as it was fun to sing Happy Birthday in Korean...except I don't really know the words, so I just sang a bunch of vowels loudly and it seemed to work.

I realized tonight why I think Rosa is so cool. No matter what she's doing (playing, eating, drinking, doing her duty in the litter box) she always makes things fun. Sometimes it means more work - like when she purposely sits behind a door so has to shimmy her arm underneath just to reach her toy. She also likes to shove her water bowl across the floor because its so much more fun to drink under the table. She doesn't care we're in Korea, she's going to have fun wherever she is! Her outlook helps me accept my apartment just a little more.

From the pictures, you might be able to tell my apartment is small. It's also shaped like a trailer. You can see from one end to the other with ease. I even have a shower/sink/toilet combo! (the toilet is behind the curtain, kind of like the Wizard of Oz). I can clean the entire bathroom with my shower 'wand'. And yet, even with such a small space, its messier than I'd like it to be. I can't imagine how this happened...

Warning, the following paragraph is not for the easily offended:

Tomorrow I get to meet the parents of my students. At the beginning class this year, I asked kids why they were taking Physics. It seemed like 80% of them replied with "Because my mom/dad is a Physicist." Crap. At least they'll get my dumb science jokes! I'll probably try to say something in Korean like "Hi, my name is Meredith. How are you? Nice to meet you" but actually end up saying "Hi, Meredith is a grocery store. She is right here. Sleep well, soy water, thank you!" (These are the only words I know.) Speaking of language mishaps...the other night at cross country practice, we played ultimate Frisbee. After the game, one of the other coaches was giving high fives to the kids saying, "Good game, good game, g-g, g-g." Whoops. FYI - if you're ever in Korea, 'Gi gi' means tits. YIKES!

3 comments:

  1. Mer, Hilarious. I love reading about your Korean life. Have you met the parents yet? How'd it go? I am going to attempt to start a blog -- although I'm not sure I have anything interesting enough to write about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meredith,
    How do you know what a "Texan with the meat sweats" smells like? If I remember correctly, you have been to Texas exactly once, and it doesn't even count because you were in Dallas.

    ReplyDelete