Saturday, October 13, 2007

Quick, Like a Dust Bunny!





Since I've been here, I've rearranged my apartment at least 4 times. There are only so many ways to arrange a couch, chair, desk, bookshelf and 2 tables. I might be running out of ideas. Every time I move a piece of furniture, a sweet little dust bunny waits for me. This also seems to be a theme of my life at the moment. Every time I attempt to rearrange parts of my life, there are dust bunnies in the form of unfinished business, hard feelings, brokenness, and wasted time. It is frustrating to have to clean them up, but at the end of the day, I like my newly decorated trailer, I mean, apartment. Rosa likes it too. She is curled up in my lap and casually tilts her head back to look at me and purr. She probably can't wait to run around and make more dust bunnies. I think she just smirked at me.

I am not in any way agreeing with Buddhism, but if you have ever watched them worship, you would notice their focus. They're not concerned with how many tests they haven't graded yet, how much sleep was lost due to last nights 9pm coffee, the guilt they feel because they didn't do their Korean language homework this week, their feelings of shame because they cheated out on their devotional time, and they certainly are not worried about their biological clocks exploding next month when they turn 26. Of course they don't worry about these things, they're monks. I don't worry about those things either. Right. And Buddha is a size 6 and a natural blond.

I'm reading a book about cleaning out the dust bunnies in our lives so that we can have a closer relationship with God. I like it because it gives clear instructions. I don't like it because the author makes it sound so easy! Step 1. Get rid of distractions such as your tv. (this took me a total of 5 hours because a side affect turned out to be the oh-so-necessary rearranging of the rest of the apartment!) I'd like to go back to Udo (island pictured above. I snorkeled at the bottom of that cliff! Thanks again, DJ for saving my life...) where they don't have a lot distractions. I can't even write this freaking blog without being distracted. So basically.....I'm on step one.

Despite my minuscule spiritual progress, this week was very encouraging. It was SEW, or Spiritual Emphasis Week at TCIS. During the week we had mini concerts, devotionals, fun and fellowship, and a speaker from the states gave a message every day. He liked to say, "Precious teenager....." and then tell them something really wonderful about God's love. I liked that. Over 40 kids accepted Christ into their hearts. It was a really cool thing to be a part of.

I procrastinate sleep because I know my new Korean words will be running through my head - my name in Korean is 'Meh-ruh-dee-suh Buh-duh'. Kinda sounds like Melodies Butt. Great. 'Golgi Shilayo!' (Meat, I don't like it!) I am thankful though, that the dust bunnies under my bed (the ones that make my eyes itch and prevent me from breathing properly) have been taken care of, at least for tonight. Tomorrow, instead of getting the ones inside of my trailer apartment, I'll clean out some dust bunnies in me. Jal Ja, Precious Friend! :)

4 comments:

  1. I love your dust bunnies analogy - I have quite a few of my own! I love your blog - thank you for sharing your heart with us. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this entry. I like this entry a lot. I like it so much I have the urge to clean out dust bunnies and internally. Oops, maybe I"ll let the cleaning lady sweep out the real dust bunnies.

    I'll let God the internal stuff. He sure is a dustbroom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to say a good dustroom.....DULMURRAHY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melodies Butt,

    I like your new name. I will teach it to my kids when I have some.

    Love,
    Ad

    ReplyDelete