Friday, November 20, 2009

Expectations



(This posting was originally themed 'Expectations and Entitlement' but by the time I got around to entitlement, the expectations had brought me too much joy and I decided to quit right there.  Lesson learned.) 

Last week brought my friends Katie and Dave a beautiful little gift in the form of wrinkly skin, poopy diapers, and a pretty face with TWO! dimples.  After months of anticipating her arrival, Sophie showed up exactly when she was expected.  I watched as Sophie's new parents stared at her with awe, amazement, and of course love as she yawned, wiggled, and enjoyed her 1st-day-of-life-out-of-the-womb slumber.  Oh!  How an itty bitty person can carve such a gargantuan mark on our souls.

 
Later that week, Matt and I got our own little unexpected bundle of joy to the tune of sloppy water drinking, destruction prone, loves to chase squirrels doggie, Mia.  She is needy, skinny, scared, and FULL of love.  She hasn't left my 5 foot personal space bubble since Saturday.  At the first feeling of abandonment, Mia attempts to flee, victimizing anything in her way (including but not limited to: vases, plants, picture frames, window blinds, window screens). So we bought a crate.  At any rate, loving Mia means being patient, forgiving, and learning how to fix psychological issues within a dog.  But she isn't just a dog; she is MY dog, my buddy, my Mama Mia.



2 comments:

  1. Wait- *unexpected* bundle of joy? How so?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't plan on getting a dog until I decided last week that we really should have one. A few days later...poof! We have a dog!

    ReplyDelete