Monday, November 9, 2009

Feels something like an Alien

When you get married, things change.  Some people choose to change their names as a symbol of unity, becoming one flesh, one family.  I did it to prevent my kids from having to endure cheering at their basketball games..."Yeah!  Put it in the bucket, Bird-Pfister!"  "Bird-Pfister, Bird-Pfister, defense, defense!"  It was just the nice thing to do.

I had to change my name on my bank account, credit card, drivers license, social security card, and other important accounts, like my Facebook profile.  Surprisingly, most name-change applications inquired about employment.  The bank lady actually asked me TWICE about my job.  Usually, the painful exchange goes something like this:

"Where are you working?"
"I'm currently unemployed."
"Oh, I'm sorry." (said with much empathy/pity)
"No, really it's ok.  I'm unemployed by choice for now."
"Oh.  So, what do you...do?"

As in, how can you possibly contribute to society by NOT working?!  What do you...do?  It cracks me up.  And then it makes me feel bad.  So, in keeping with relishing and appreciating the time allowed by my unemployment, this post is dedicated to stuff I do, did, or have done lately that I would have not otherwise been able to do during a teacher's workday.

-gave moral support to a friend at 11:00am while she was applying for jobs
-baked bread for the neighbor who just lost her husband
-drove to Houston to see new nugget
-made applesauce
-found cheap couches on craigslist at 1:00pm
-carried couches into house at 1:30pm
-got couch cushions refoamed
-wrote a zillion thank you notes
-gchatted with a friend at work in crisis
-finished these projects:

Matt's arm warmers and 3 pairs of wrist warmers, goes well with unemployed status.


  Sophie's sweater...she should be coming any day now!
I am dually proud and ashamed of this sweater.  Proud because I finished it, ashamed because there are a lot of unexplained bumps and holes.




Things I will do in the future:
-complete job application.

2 comments:

  1. I like your story. Honestly, Im getting bored teaching science to high schoolers but I dont have a choice. I have a family to support. I never improved professionally speaking while attending trainings and seminars, its kind of boring. In our country lack of equipment, I have to be resourceful so that my students could see the application of scientific principles. Most teachers here wanting to leave this country in search of greener pasture like america, and other western countries. Its my first time to blog. you will find out my post not good to look at. Im trying to concentrate on herbal medicine and find some passive income here on the internet. You have a pretty collection of your family memorabillias. More power!

    ReplyDelete