Monday, August 13, 2007

First day





Today was the first day of school at TCIS. I didn't have the normal sleepless night before, but I did get a little anxious after waking up late, wishing I would have hired the cleaning lady to iron my clothes YESTERDAY, hustling to work to find out that my new shoes = new blisters.

My first class was a Physics class of 8 Juniors. Three boys thought they would be funny by trying to switch their name cards sitting in front of them while I wasn't looking. Teachers are always looking. I walked by and in one swift movement, switched them all back and said "Hm. Nice try." They replied with a roar and smiles. I think I won.

At the end of the day, my younger class was listening to me lecture a bit and the last bell rang during the middle of my sentence. I expected them to jump out of their seats, start yelling and run away. They didn't! It was crazy! They were all staring up at me, still listening, and I finished my sentence and dismissed them. I almost fell over from shock.

Overall, it was a fantastic day. Only 63 kids to get to know, only a few classes a day. It seems like a dream right now but I'm sure I'll wake up soon and the sunshine and daisies will be gone. For right now, I'm going to bed to enjoy it!

(the first pictures are of downtown Taejon, norabong (karaoke room!), me and Jen at the dirtiest bowling alley on the Earth, and TCIS high school)

3 comments:

  1. Wow Meredith!

    Awesome...I'm really jealous of you..

    I hope its going well, I wish you luck, and I'll frequently check in!

    -Scott Roland

    ReplyDelete
  2. And those boys thought they could get away with that... ha! Good luck dealing with the riff-raff, Merry. :)

    Sounds like a wonderful first day, sore feet aside. Hooray for you!! You're teaching in KOREA!

    And how was the karaoke? It doesn't surprise me a bit that this made one of your first 10 pics. ha!

    ReplyDelete