Friday, August 24, 2007

Notes on things Korean






I have decided to quit speaking Korean. Not really, but I've been super frustrated lately when trying to communicate. For instance, I asked my friend, Christine for the Korean word for water. She told me and I repeated it to our waiter. (this is a pretty simple word, sounds like moole) He looked at me like I was fresh off the spaceship from Planet Gyzone. Christine kindly ordered water for me. When I'm in a taxi and ask in Korean for 'foreigner's school' or 'Hannam University' they just say "Uhn?" Seriously?!!

I'm also going to pick a bone with Korean ATMs. Yeah, you read it right, I have some beef with the ATMs. After a longer-than-it-should-have-been cab ride (in which the driver insulted my Canadian/Korean friend's Korean grammar and then asked us if we were Russian prostitutes) I stopped by an ATM to withdraw some cash. Still recovering from the ride, all was well until the pin #. Apparently in Korea, you don't need to hit the Enter or OK button after you type your pin, because just as I hit OK, the screen changed to that big screen with withdrawal amount options. I just kept thinking, 'Crap...it had a five in it....it had a five in it...' It sure did. I heard bills piling up in the ATM like coins coming out of a slot machine. Mind you, there aren't any bills over 10,000 won. So 500,000 won later, my cab buddies looked at my wad of cash and said, 'Must have been a good night, eh?' (see prostitution reference above).

I love Korea, but dang it, their cups just don't cut it. Restaurant water cups are SO SMALL. Tonight I had to fill up my cup at least 9 times and I was still thirsty! It's only 80 degrees with 90 percent humidity but no worries, you can have a shot of water.

There is a little store on my way to school that has a big sign with a sun on it and it says something to imply that it is an early morning shop...except I've never seen it open before 10am.

I just called home and was reminded that my mom's answering machine still has my brother's voice on it with one option to leave Meredith a message...I haven't lived there for 3 years! I also tried to leave a message but the inbox is full because she never deletes her kids' messages. :) Cute.

So instead of getting advice from my mom, I called my Aunt Jeanie. She helped me reflect on how God has truly planted me here. I shouldn't worry about things like marriage, but should instead be praying for my future mate and trusting that God will introduce us when we're both ready. It's amazing how God directs you to people who tell you exactly what you need to hear. I'm so grateful for Aunts!

A few pictures above are from my walk home from school (the trash might be why it stinks so much) my apartment, my team for TCIS Family Fun Day, and Rosa and her window with a "view" (of the next building). :)

5 comments:

  1. Cool pics, Merry. It is really neat to see your environment there... and I think the pic of Rosa is really cool. :)

    Don't let those little annoying things get to you. Easier said than done, I know... but I think that if you haven't learned Korean in the three weeks you've been there and people look at you crazy when you try to practice... well too bad for them! You'll never get better at it unless you practice... :)

    And just for the record, you have never struck me as a russian prostitute. ha!

    it is so fun to read about how you are doing and the things you are experiencing! Love from both me and Aaron-- x's and o's across the pacific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad Daisy could set you straight! Alley pic reminds me of Girard Ave. In Germany, the natives always appreciated your trying to use their language even if they did let your order a wagon full of charcoal instead of a small bucket! Keep it up with a big smile and maybe they will soften up and if not, too bad so sad for them--Em said it too! Miss you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mer, glad things are going "great"! Culture shock sure sets in quick when you really need to eat, travel and live in a place...Spain kicked my ass for a while too. Too bad no boozy for you, I found the more sangria I drank the better my Spanish got. Embrace the new routines and people because before you know it, it will time to come home! As far as being a Russian prositute...hmmm, maybe if the teaching doesn't work out there you could really strike it big as one, JK!!! SMOOCHES!!!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annyong!

    I love reading your blog :) You're an amazing world traveling wonder and I miss you! Em's right, that pic of Rosa is sweet, and the alley's look like here. Not much new here--pick-up football starts tonight and we'll be missing our star quarterback!

    I know you'll get awesome at Korean and then when you come back we'll have something to say besides "Annyong!" :) Give Rosa a hug from me you crazy Russian prostitute --maybe he meant it nice like "you're so beautiful, you could be a high-class prostitute" :) That's from that Flight of the Concords song :) That's a lot of t's in one word. 3 of them. hahaha t's sounds like tease. ok--time to work and stop being a huge dork (not possible!) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi~
    i've just been visiting your blog
    i'm a korean,i had to do homework about my home. and i found your blog. your blog is very interesting for me as a korean.
    Anyway^^ have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete