Friday, August 10, 2007

Jal Ja

When asked for the translation of "goodnight" my Korean friends looked perplexed. Instead of goodnight, they say 'jal ja' which means sleep well. It seems like Koreans are constantly wishing one another well. When you say goodbye to someone, whether you are leaving or they are leaving, each person wishes the other person to stay or go in peace. There are also situations where you tell people to "go do ____ (your job) well". It seems intentional and seems to mean more than 'goodbye' or 'goodnight'. I like it.

There is still a lot to do at school so I have to go in on Saturday. It's ok though, because everyone else will be there too, frantically planning, copying, and thinking that their first day just isn't quite good enough. Its funny that we spend so much time worrying about it, but who really remembers the first day of school anyway? It only sets the tone for the rest of the year, so I'm just planning on talking about how much fun the rest of the year will be. :) I can't wait to meet my kids.

At the end of the day, Korea still stinks a little, but I don't mind. Every place, every situation, and everybody has their own element of stinkiness. I can deal with a little trash.

Jah Ja ~

4 comments:

  1. Love your blog! I was just thinking about you today, wondering how life is going in Korea. Can't wait to hear about your first day of school. You are in our prayers.
    Jal Ja!
    Love you!
    Jennifer and the gang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Merr,
    Was just talking to Matt and asking if you had gotten off alright. Great blog, and keep us posted on all your activities and the Korean life!
    Janna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mere, glad you are finally taking out the trash. At least Korea has got you doing that now. It's a good thing that Korea kind of smells because then your new friends won't realize that you smell too. Maybe Mom and Dad adopted you from Korea and that is why you have always been a little fruity under the arms? Well, that would explain all the pain I had to endure growing up with you. Too bad none of the treatments worked that the doctors prescribed. Wow, I'm a saint that I never harass you about it.

    So have you tried some dog yet? I think Rosa would make a good stew, no? If you get short on cash, take her to the local dive and see what kind of deal you can make. That way you won't have to buy kitty litter and kitty food and instead you can buy me a nice birthday present. Yeah, that's a plan.

    Ok, off to bed. Hope your first day of school is great. Rae and I watched the Ron Clark Story on TV. I think you should make up a bunch of rules and one of them should be that if the kids don’t behave you’ll make them eat horse! Cool! I think I should be a teacher.

    Love you lots,
    Ad & Rae (on not Rae, she read my work and said “don’t sign my name to that!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have quite possibly the worst brother in the world. Thanks for the support man! :)

    ps- there is some validity in your stinky theory....

    ReplyDelete