Thursday, August 9, 2007

KOREA!












I finally made it! I'm finally moved in and Rosa is casually laying on the floor in her new apartment. She likes the floors because they are slippery and toys are much more fun to chase. She isn't enjoying the view of the 'garden' outside or the apartment building that is so close she could jump from my window to theirs if she wanted. Rosa probably doesn't fancy the weird smell outside either, but we're dealing with it.

A few fun facts about Korea - you have to separate your food waste from your recyclables, and then the leftover garbage goes in a special "green" bag. Someone comes along and sorts it all but if you get caught with your food waste in your green bag, WATCH OUT! I'm terrified to take out the trash.

Personal space is something that I thought I've always been ok with - I don't mind being close to people. I like being close! Then I moved to Korea and got hip checked by an old lady at a department store and decided I certainly do have a personal bubble.

So far, I have discovered a few rules/guidelines for Korea:
1. Its ok to stare and point. At anything. You can even talk out loud about what you're staring at.
2. It is perfectly acceptable to play bumper cars with your body in a moderately crowded shopping area.
3. Don't mess with middle aged Korean women. It seems they hold the power around here.
4. Separate your garbage.
5. If you think someone will understand you because you speak English, think again.
6. Anything written in English has the potential of being jibberish.
7. Koreans are really nice.

The pictures above are of some new teachers, the view from 2 streets bordering school (notice how the businesses are stacked on top of one another), the high school, and two of my newest friends, Kirstin and Annette.

My new school is so great and my classes are so tiny, the support is wonderful, and there is a lot of spiritual wellness being emphasized.

I like my new home and I'm pretty sure Rosa does too. The jet lag has subsided, its nighttime, and we're both ready for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment